Wednesday, August 8, 2012

HFMD

25th JULY 2012
A day I will never forget!
 We brought Kieran for his vaccine recently, was told by the nurse that he will get fever 5 days later. So I monitored him, and true enough he was mildly feverish that noon, gave him the prescribed paracetamol and after his nap he was alright. It didn't occurred to me that the symptoms was actually HFMD.
As he seems perfectly ok so we went dinner to celebrate my mom's birthday. After dinner we went to my parents house. He was playing happily with my sis, around 9:30pm, during a commercial break I turned to look at him and he stood still in front of me with his eyes rolling and staring at nowhere, then I sense something amiss. 
Quickly I shouted for my mom, true indeed the next moment his knees went weak and he was shivering with his fists clenched tightly, my mom carried him and immediately pushed her index finger into his mouth. I was petrified and crying uncontrollably never in my entire life I felt this scared, I never seen anything like this before and especially it is happening to my baby. 
5 mins later he stopped shivering, just lying on my mom arms motionless and my heart sank! I cried even louder! I thought of the worst that could happened, but thankfully he was still breathing. The next minute ambulance arrived, medics with stretcher. 
Gloria followed me and Kieran to the hospital, the medics checked his pulse and cover his mouth with oxygen mask. They assured me not to worry, "your baby just had "fits" now he is exhausted and so he fell asleep." I was then slightly relieved because I am sure the medics wouldn't lie to me. 
They called his name to wake him up, after few calls and nudges he cried pushing the mask away from him, I guessed he was intimidated by the unfamiliar surrounding.  My heart lightened even more to see him conscious and crying.
 Dearie arrived the hospital not long after I called him, he was very much frightened by my jittering voice over the phone when I was crying and unable to speak properly of what exactly happened.  
It was only then in the hospital, rashes starts to appear near the mouth area, on his palm as well as his foot. Then we recalled his Champ Kids recent outbreaks of HFMD.
comforting messages from my family..
 from Angela.
I really thank God for them, those consoling words alleviated my worries. I can't imagine if I was alone at home. 
 the following day, 
 poor daddy slept on the floor. Kieran went to sleep beside him, my sweet boy.
 in the evening.
 more rashes appeared. Constant scratching.. So poor thing.
 more on his mouth area. Nurses forced applied ulcer gel for him. He dare not close his mouth, refuse to eat, reject whatever drinks was given.. =/ My dad was worried sick and came that evening to visit his precious grandson, and to packet food for me.
 26th JULY 2012

 after forced fed medicines, he was all moody. He felt real bored, kept crying wanting to go out of the room. Because HFMD is contagious so he needs to stay in the room till discharged.
 really heartache to see them force fed  him with medicines and woke him up from sleep every hour to check his blood pressure, and temperature. He did not sleep nor eat well there. 
 Again in the morning he took a pillow to accompany daddy on the floor!

 I asked for toys from nurses to kill his boredom. 
 well, at least it did for 15 mins??
 IPad is still the best toy for him!
 and TV!
 the room.
 the food he enjoyed the most! as usual he will sing "happy birthday" whenever he sees cake!
 this brownie quite cheered him up!
 eating or playing? finally he was discharged after 2 days. Doctor just want to make sure the fits don't reoccur and he takes his fluid well.

27th JULY 2012 
Home sweet home! some rashes bleed from his scratching.
 Yiyi Angela and Gab came to visit with toys to brighten his evening! Amy was here as well.
 how can he resist this?!
 he love the puppy!
See! I know he will make a good big brother to mei mei. =)

Thank God for hearing our prayers. He regained his active mode soon after he arrived home. Rashes diminishing after the next day.. by day 5 he was recovering and back to his usual appetite. I wondered if he will remember all these when he grows up. This incident really made my realised I was so afraid of losing my precious boy and how much he really means to me and the rest of my family.
There were also many friends who showed their concerns over Kieran and us, you know who you are. Thanks everyone. Kieran had recovered and running with full energy now! ^^, Thanks!!!
ade.love

No comments: